It’s a bit of a pain, but I’m having my second go at trying to meet the requirements for the graphic novel.
Since the margins are so different compared to a regular text paperback book, the bleed trim areas are a little new to me.
If I had a webcomic this wouldn’t be a problem, but then again, what would happen if I ever decided to print the darn thing out? I’d have to deal with this at some point in my life.
I had to wait about 24 hours to find out that my book cover didn’t meet the requirements for printing, so I had to format it again, including a formatted interior and wait another 24 hours. So in total 48 hours has passed.
This time the book cover finally meets the guidelines for printing, but now the interior needs a larger margin for the inside gutter area. At least a .5 is what they’re telling me for a page count of 174 pages for full color bleed. Yes, I added some more pages and didn’t realize this would effect everything until now. Stupid me.
So back to the drawing board! I’m just lucky that I have InDesign, because it helps so much. All I have to do is change the inside margins and that’s it. Then, I gotta export the file into PDF for a final version. I may not be able to get the book printed and shipped until after Christmas or New Year’s, which is a real shame.
Oh well, at least now I know what I’m actually doing and what needs to be fixed. I’ll have to take into account all the margins, page counts, bleed trim areas, and gutter into consideration before I publish the graphic novel. This is more complicated than printing out a regular book with just words in it.
Anyhoo, back to waiting another 24 hours just to see what they say.